Today I am going to show you how to make an Easter Bunny Basket! It uses the same basic idea that we used in the Card Holder and Xmas Treat Dish.
Finished size: Basket 3″ x 2.5″, Rabbit: 8″ tall + handle
What you need:
The pattern – available here
Two pieces of fabric – outside and inside
Iron on vilene
Scraps of white and black felt
Matching embroidery floss or fabric markers
A white pompom
1. Fold your fabric pieces in half and place the pattern on the fold.
2. Cut out the Easter Bunny Basket, leaving a 1/4″ seam allowance.
3. Cut around the pattern on the vilene (no seam allowance)
4. Iron the vilene to the back of the main fabric
5. Trace the the dotted and filled lines from the pattern to the outside of the lining fabric. (I use my Frixion pen that disappears with ironing)
Nanny edit: Please find new, detailed info re these pens here and make your own decisions re their use!
6. Create the face (or draw it on with fabric pens). I used small pieces of felt for the eyes and nose and backstitched the mouth.
7. Cut the pads from the white felt and sew in place in the front corners – I used the machine.
8. Put right sides together and starting at the top of a handle piece, stitch down that side to the end of the other handle piece. Repeat on the other side, leaving a space to turn through to the right side.
9. Clip into corners taking care not to cut stitching, turn it through to the right side. Push corners out carefully (I use the blunt end of a wooden skewer)
10. Ladder Stitch the opening closed and press well.
11. Stitch around the filled lines to form the base of the basket.
12. Turn in the edge of one end of the handle. Insert the end of the other handle piece and stitch.
13. Turn to the inside and fold the back corners along the dotted lines and stitch.
14. Now turn to right side, fold the front corners and stitch.
15. Press the foot flat.
16. Stitch a pom pom to the back for the tail
Now isn’t that just the cutest!!
All we need now is a egg hunt!
Nanny note: Not one chocolate egg was devoured during the making of this tutorial!!
Until next time
I am unable to download the pattern for the easter bunny basket. Please email the pattern to me.
Hi Marlene! I’m sorry you couldn’t download the pattern – I hope it isn’t a problem on the blog! I will send you a copy! 🙂
Cheryl@Sew Can Do says
What a great little basket pattern! I’d love to feature this next week, but can’t find if you have a link party page or party links anywhere else. Thanks for sharing this at the Craftastic Monday Link Party at Sew Can Do!
I have a page called Features where I put links to pages that have featured my work. Not sure if this is what you mean. Thanks heaps
Hi again Cheryl!
I just re-read your comment and I now have a page! I’m sorry that I had not caught up since transferring the blog to my own domain – the link was on my old blog nannynotes2u! Thanks for alerting me to my omission. (Put the other comment down to Fibro Fog!!)
Pam @Threading My Way says
Super cute Easter basket, Margie!!! My mouth is watering for chocolate now.
Pam @Threading My Way recently posted…Is it Worth Attending a Quilting Retreat?
Pam @Threading My Way says
Featured today, Margie…
Pam @Threading My Way recently posted…Threading Your Way ~ Features…
Thank you Pam! I know – the eggs lasted a little while! lol Thanks for the feature – you are so supportive! 🙂