Today while thinking of what I could make to put under Clare’s Xmas Tree, I remembered our first Let’s Sew Project and decided that I would make a larger container to use at Xmas!
I have chosen some real Aussie fabric with Santa Koalas (just to remind all readers that Nanny is a true blue Aussie!!)
This is really simple to sew but if you need more detailed instructions, you will find them in the Let’s Sew Tutorials
What you need:
1 x 10″ square of main fabric
1 x 10″ square of co-ordinating fabric
1 x 9.5″ Vilene H640 or similar
Finished size: 4.5″ x 4.5″ x approx 2and3/8″ (You can vary the size to meet your needs – or fabric)
1. Centre your Vilene square on the back of the main fabric and press (make sure you have the Vilene dots facing the fabric)
2. Sew around the edge, leaving a space for turning. Trim corners.
3. Push corners out, roll between finger and thumb and press.
4. Topstitch – I sewed about 1/8″ from the edge.
5. I am using my 4.5″ rule – centre it on the square and trace.
Nanny note: I am using a Pilot Frixion pen – if you don’t have one, do yourself a favour! They are available at supermarkets in Australia and the beauty of them is they disappear when you press!
Nanny edit: Please see new, detailed info re these pens here and decide for yourself whether you want to use them
6. Stitch around the traced line.
7. Fold each corner and stitch from the corner of the stitched square straight out to the edge.
8. Press around the stitching to form a ‘base’ for your container.
9. Fold corners back.
10. Fill with Xmas goodies – Yummmy!
Please share a photo if you make a dish! What will you put in yours?
Until next time
Pam @Threading My Way says
You are on a roll with Christmas sewing, Margie. Such a handy little basket.
Having some fun Pam! It is a handy one and so easy to make! 🙂
These are very cool Nanny Margie!
Thanks Manicmumdays! Nice and easy – you will have an easy mumday making some of these! :0
clares craftroom says
Thanks for linking up x
Karen's Korner says
Thank you for your clear instructions on how to make a fun goodie box. Looks great.