Remember the Microwave Bowl Holder that I made some time back? Well, the 100% cotton wadding I used was called ‘Warm Tater’ and on the paper wrap was a Free Pattern for a Potato Bag. I checked my Pins and sure enough, I had pinned a potato bag (so obviously thought it a great idea!!)
I purchased my ‘Warm Tater’ from our local Quilt Shop, Splash Into Craft, and of course I talked with the owner, Sue, about what I was doing with it, and together we checked the free pattern. When I went shopping on Sunday, Sue had a surprise for me – she had managed to find this fabric, especially for me!!
I was so excited I just had to get it done so I could share it with you!
What you need:
Firstly, you need to measure your microwave. The bag must be a full inch away from all the sides so that it can rotate freely. I will make mine 9″ square.
So, take your measurement, double it and add 2″ ( mine will be 9″x 2 + 2″ = 20″)
Cut a piece of ‘Warm Tater’ the same size.
Cut a cotton fabric for the lining, the same size
I am not following the sewing instructions given because it won’t give the finish I want.
1. Layer the lining fabric, right side up , main fabric , right side down, and then the ‘Warm Tater’.
2. Sew across the two narrow ends and turn to the right side.
3. Topstitch each of the seams 1/4″ from the edge and then another row 1/8″ away.
4. Quilt as desired – I just did straight lines.
5. Fold the strip lengthwise, right sides together to form your square (mine is 9″) – you will have some left over…
6. Lift the top away and fold the bottom piece inwards so that it too is 9″.
7. Lay the top piece back down and sew the seams starting and finishing with some reverse stitches to secure.
8. Finish and trim the seams and turn to the right side.
How cute is that!!
Here it is after being washed and dried – all ready to cook some potatoes for tea! Yum!
Thank you Sue and Splash into Craft – I love it!!
Now I happen to know, that if Sue has some requests, she will be happy to kit this up for you!!
Contact Sue and tell her: you want to make a Potato Bag; your microwave measurements; and tell her Nanny sent you!
Until next time
Mel@Mellywood's Mansion says
Cool fabric how fun!
Thanks Mel! It’s perfect isn’t it! 🙂
Jane from Lil Pip says
Great idea! Love the fabric.
Thanks Jane! I love it too – was so happy when Sue popped it out! 🙂
Pam @Threading My Way says
I didn’t know you could microwave potatoes in a bag. Shows how much I cook!!! It’s the perfect fabric.
Me either Pam! I love the fabric too! 🙂
danielle wulfing says
How do you wash it?
Hi Danielle! You wash it in the machine – it is made from cotton and quilted! 🙂
Charlotte Thompson says
Thanks so much! Just what I was looking for!
Thanks Charlotte – enjoy!
Are u using an all cotton batting ?
Hi Susan! Yes I used 100% cotton wadding called Warm Tater.