Today we are going to take a break from Half Square Triangles as we make a Double 9 Patch block from charm squares.
WHAT YOU NEED:
LIGHT: 4 x 5″ squares
DARK: 6 x 5″ squares (my DARK is the check)
OTHER: 7 x 5″ squares (my OTHER is Black)
NANNY NOTE: As you can see there will be some wastage (opportunities)using charm squares. If you would prefer to cut strips I will add details for you at the end of this tutorial..
- Take each of the DARK and OTHER squares and cut strips (1 and 7/8)” wide. You will have two at that width and a smaller strip left over that you will be able to use in another project.
2. Join strips DARK, OTHER, DARK – do this 3 times. You will see that they now will be 4.5″ wide
3. Join strips OTHER, DARK, OTHER – do this 5 times
4. Now turn so the strips are horizontal and cross cut each strip into (1 and 7/8)” strips (as in step 1)
5. You will need 5 of the DARK, OTHER, DARK strips and 10 of the OTHER, DARK, OTHER strips
6. We are now going to join the strips to make small 9 patch blocks
7. Trim all blocks to 4.5″ and press.
8. Organise your squares
9. Sew your 9 patch and press.
NANNY NOTE: If you prefer to cut strips you will need to:
- Cut strips:
DARK: 2 strips 10″ x (1 and 7/8)” and 1 strip 20″ x (1 and 7/8)”
OTHER: 1 strip 10″ x (1 and 7/8)” and 2 strips 20″ x (1 and 7/8)”
2. Sew the 10″strips DARK, OTHER, DARK and the 20″ strips OTHER, DARK, OTHER
Now continue from Number 4 above.
That is our Double 9 Patch block all done!
I decided to use my Eiffel Towers again – I look forward to seeing your choices!
Until next time
NANNY NOTE: All previous block tutorials for the 9 Patch Sampler can be found at the end of the first tutorial.
[…] WEEK 13: Make a Double 9 Patch Block […]